Online Portal FAQ's
BTB Online Portal Frequently Asked Questions
Q: WHAT IS THE BTB ONLINE PORTAL AND ITS BENEFITS?
A: The BTB Portal is an online platform that allows stakeholders to conduct various types of official
business such as tax submissions, licensing, guest registration and payments online by
offering a more convenient and value added experience. This is service designed for all stakeholders
in the tourism industry. All BTB Account Holders are able to login in and access their information
through the web portal on the BTB website under the tab: http://bit.ly/2yDSo0l
B: There are numerous benefits offered by the system. Besides being paper free, the portal is an
efficient and secure automated process that allows you to conduct business with the BTB in the
comfort of your home or office, including the submission of monthly tax submissions and online
payment of taxes. It is also a fast, accurate, secure and easily accessible online process that allows
you to make payments through any of our four participating Banks: Atlantic Bank, Belize Bank,
Heritage Bank and Scotia Bank.
The system was launched on November 1st, 2017 and will include three phases:
- Phase 1 Launch (November 2017) – to allow Hotel Accommodation to submit Monthly Accommodation Tax Returns and access to online payments through the participating banks.
- Phase 2 (Second Quarter of 2019) – to allow for Hotel Accommodations to submit online Guest Registration Form, conduct licensing processes and to view reports.
- Phase 3 (Third Quarter of 2019) – to allow for Tour Operators, Tour Guides and QRP’s to submit licensing applications and renewals online.
For further information kindly contact the BTB at 227-2420 or email@example.com
Q: HOW DO I REGISTER AND CREATE A BTB ONLINE ACCOUNT?
A: To create a BTB Online Account you must take the following steps:
- You must first be a licensed entity with the BTB.
- Complete the BTB Online Portal Registration Form. Download link here (insert download link)
- Submit form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A BTB Licensing Officer will confirm your registration information and email your BTB Online Portal login credential. Follow the instructions on the confirmation email to access the BTB Online Portal at https://online.belizetourismboard.org
- To access your online account, the system will request your email address, Control ID and Password.
Q: WHAT IS MY CONTROL ID?
A: Your BTB control ID is an 8 digit alphanumeric ID that uniquely identifies you as an account holder with the BTB. The combination is 3 letters + 5 numerals Eg. HOT00123. This can be seen on all BTB invoices and receipts issued after April 1st, 2017. To find out what is your BTB control ID, call the BTB licensing department at 227-2420 ext. 1 or email@example.com
Q: HOW DO I MAKE A MONTHLY SUBMISSION OF MY TAX DECLARATION?
A: To make a submission of your monthly tax declaration you must do the following steps:
- Go to the BTB Online site at https://online.belizetourismboard.org
- Login to your BTB Online account credentials
- Go to ‘Tax Return’ Tab
- Select ‘Create Tax Return’ sub-tab
- Input your Tax Declaration information
- Select ‘Complete’ form
- Review your MATR form entry
- Select ‘Submit Completed Form’ after confirmation
Your invoice for the Tax declaration total along with any surcharge or interest will be generated automatically. Please review your Invoice(s) and Statement for online payment or print it if you wish to make your payment at the bank.
Q: DO I STILL NEED TO FILE THE MANUAL MONTHLY ACCOMMODATION TAX RETURN (MATR) IF I
HAVE SUMBMITTED THE MATR ONLINE ALREADY?
A: No, you will not need to file the manual MATR forms if you have submitted via the online.
Q: WILL I GET AN INVOICE AND RECEIPT WHEN USING THE BTB ONLINE PORTAL?
A: Yes, when you submit the tax declaration online, an invoice will be generated and
reflected in your account. You will be able to save or print a copy. Payments made
through the banks will be issued a receipt by the respective bank. The bank will send
BTB a report of the daily transactions made on the portal. BTB will then replicate the
payment transaction with your bank receipt number, date and amount. All banks
payments will be reflected the following business day. Once your BTB receipt is created,
you can access, view or print on your BTB Online Account.
Q: CAN I SELECT THE PERIOD OF TAX REPORT I WANT TO MAKE PAYMENT FOR?
A: No, you will not be able to select the invoices you want to make payment for with the accounting system BTB has implemented. With a payment to account system, you will have an overall balance where payments will be made towards balances based on an aging sequence of non-interest bearing balances such as penalties and fines first, followed by taxes.
Q: DO I NEED TO FILE A TAX RETURN IF I DO NOT HAVE ANY GUEST FOR THE PERIOD OR WAS
A: Yes, you will need to file a return once you are licensed for a given year or period. The
tax return will be a nil-return report confirming to the BTB that there were no revenues
for the tax period. The nil return is still subject to the tax submission due date on or
before the 14th of the following month which can be made online. Failure to submit will result
in a violation ticket.
Q: DO I STILL NEED TO SEND IN MY GUEST REGISTRATION FORMS (GRF)?
A: Yes, you will still be required to send in your Guest Registration Forms to the BTB Office on or
before the 14thof each month during Phase 1. However, Phase 2 will allow this to be submitted
Q: HOW DO I MAKE AN ONLINE PAYMENT?
A: To make an online payment please do the following:
- Take note of your Invoice or Statement Balance Amount (you will need this for your online payment)
- Click “Pay now”
- Select your Bank of Payment
- In your Bank Portal, log on with your Bank credentials
- Go to Bill Payment Tab
- Select Belize Tourism Board (BTB) for payment
- Input your BTB Control ID as Account Number
- Input your recorded Invoice or Statement Balance Amount for Payment
- Confirm payment process
- Review and record bank receipt
Q: WILL I BE ABLE TO VIEW MY ACCOUNT BALANCES?
A: Yes, follow the steps below:
- Go “Reports” Tab
- Click on “Statements” sub-tab
- Select your statement beginning period ‘month’ and ‘year’
- Review your statement account balance
Q: HOW DO I MAKE AN OVER- THE COUNTER PAYMENT?
A: Making a payment over the counter at the bank is fairly simple. Please do the following:
- Print your BTB Invoice or Statement
- Present your Invoice or Statement to Bank Teller advising to make a Bill Payment to BTB
- Make your payment to Bank Teller
- Review and record bank receipt
Q: WHICH BANKS CAN I USE?
A: The participating banks are: Atlantic Bank, Belize Bank, Heritage Bank, and Scotia Bank.
Payments are processed through their online portal or you can visit your bank to make over
the counter payments. Access to the bank portal will be prompted when you select a ‘pay
now’ link after an Invoice is generated. BTB has now implemented a payment to account system
which will be tracking account by overall balances due. Payments from different banks or
account deposits will be accepted once you use the same Control ID number. Please note that
taxes are to be paid in full on or before the 14th of the following month to not incur penalty and
Q: WILL CREDIT CARD/PAYPAL PAYMENTS BE ACCEPTED?
A: Credit Cards, PayPal and other e-commerce payment options are currently unavailable.
Q: CAN I STILL SEND MY DECLARATIONS BY MAIL?
A: Yes, you can still mail in your entire tax declaration to the BTB Office on or before the 14th of
the following month or penalties and fines will be applied as per the Section 23 of Hotels
and Tourist Accommodation Act Chapter 285 of the laws of Belize. Mailing stamp date will
not be considered as the receipt date.
Q: CAN I STILL MAKE PAYMENT AT THE BTB OFFICE?
A: Yes, you can still make payment to any of our 2 BTB offices: 64 Regent Street, Belize City or
Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro. Please note that tax submission and payment should still be
made on or before the 14th to not incur any penalties.
Q: WILL THE DUE DATE FOR MY TAX DECLARATIONS REMAIN THE SAME?
A: Yes, due dates will remain the same as per Section 23 of the Hotel and Tourist
Accommodation Act Chapter 285 of the laws of Belize. Tax submissions must be received
on or before the 14th of the following month whether it is submitted online, mailed in, or
personally delivered at our BTB Office so that penalties and fines are not incurred. Mailing
stamp date will not be considered as the receipt date.
Q: WILL THERE BE ANY CHANGES IN PENALTIES AND FINES FOR LATE PAYMENTS?
A: No, penalties and fines remain the same per Section 25 of the Hotel and Tourist Accommodation Act. Fines and penalties will be automatically invoiced monthly but are non-interest bearing. These include:
- Surcharge of 10% – charged for the late payment of taxes. The one-time 10% surcharge is applied to the principal tax once the payment is received after the 14th of the following month.
- Interest of 5% – additional charge for taxes remaining in default. The penalty charge of 5% interest is charged upon the expiration of the first 30 days of taxes being in default and at the beginning of every other 30 day period.
Violation Tickets of 3X room rate – charged for failure to submit a monthly tax return, guest registration forms, non-payment of taxes, or any other violations against the Hotel Tourist Accommodation Act (HTAA) Act. The violation ticket is a fine of 3 times your highest declared room rate.