Background/Description of grant program:
The Grants Program is generally aimed at identifying, developing and implementing growth opportunities within the tourism industry, for the mutual benefit of stakeholders and the BTB. The program is designed to support strategic tourism projects by assisting these firms in overcoming a clearly define set of market-failures. One of the segments of the tourism industry that has been critically impacted due to the COVID-19 economic recession and tourism demand collapse, are the MSEs that service the industry. Tourism Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) are an important segment of the tourism economy in Belize, but also are extremely vulnerable to economic recessions, natural disasters, and in this case pandemics. These MSEs will require support to invest in strategic and resilient projects that will contribute to their recovery and improve their competitiveness in the post pandemic tourism market.
Objective of the Engagement:
The Administrative Assistant (AA) will help coordinate administrative tasks to carry through BTB’s Business Recovery & Enhancement Matching Grants Program for MSE’s. The AA will provide support to the project team members, working with them to promote and develop the project. The role will vary in responsibility and scope, including but not limited to administrative, marketing and public relations.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Human Resources and Administrative Services Manager
Belize Tourism Board
Re: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
The Administrative Assistant (AA) will be responsible to the Grants Administrator. The duties will involve:
- Overall familiarization with the goals and objectives of the BTB’s Business Recovery and Enhancement Matching Grants Program for the tourism Micro and Small Enterprises to gain an in depth understanding of the application process, rules and requirements of the scheme.
- Responsible for the day-to-day general management of the Grants Program office ensuring that the office runs smoothly.
- Overseeing clerical tasks, to include: sorting and sending mail, welcoming visitors to the office, managing calls and messages, scheduling meetings and sending meeting invites to attendees and taking minutes of meeting.
- Maintaining Program Records and files.
- Assist the Finance, Administrative and Procurement (FAP) Specialist with updating and maintaining inventory of office supplies and ordering new materials as needed.
- Assist the FAP Specialist with the coordination of payroll and banking procedures.
- Assist the Training and Marketing (TM) Specialist with the execution of the Marketing and Communications Plan as it relates to monitoring of Website and other social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp and calls).
- Must be a focused individual and have a strong willingness to learn.
- Must be able to maintain a calm and professional character with every encounter and exercise good judgment in all situations.
- Have excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Quick books or other accounting software. Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft project would also be an advantage.
- Be task orientated and able to prioritize projects, multitask and meet tight deadlines.
- Be fluent in written and spoken English with the ability to express data in a concise and clear manner.
- Be a team player and possess strong self-motivation and initiative.
- Be able to respond rapidly to requests.
Qualifications: Education / Experience / Skills required of the position.
- Associate’s Degree in Business Administration/Accounting, or Finance from an Accredited University.
- Two years of relevant experience working in administration would be an asset.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills, the ability to summarize complex issues for common use and proficient computer skills are required.
- Administrative and management competence would be an asset.
- Proven ability to establish good working relationships and networks.
- Ability to meet timelines.
Characteristics of Engagement:
- Duration: 3 months
- This full time post requires the Administrative Assistant to work from the BTB office at regular working hours Monday to Thursday, 8am to 5pm and on Fridays 8am to 4pm (with one lunch hour), but will also require flexible working hours, including working on weekends or after 5pm.
- Necessary time in lieu will be discussed for approval from the Grant Administrator (in coordination with BTB’s Director of Industry Development and/or Business Development Manager.
- AA is required to have his/her personal laptop to be used as a working tool.
- Category and Modality: This is a domestic engagement for an individual candidate.
- Work Location: Belize City, Belize
Coordination and Report Arrangements
The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Grants Administrator, who in turn reports directly to BTB’s Industry Development Director (or in absence to the Business Development Manager). Coordination will be required with the Grant Administration Team.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.