- August 2, 2019
- Posted by: Perry Bodden
The Tax Auditor plays a critical role in the revenue management function of the Business Development Department. The incumbent will work within the Tax Auditing Unit and is a part of the mechanism that manages the revenue collection, revenue validation and tax compliance functions for the Belize Tourism Board. The Tax Auditor also guides stakeholders on how best to comply with the provisions of the legislations and policies governing taxation of the Hotels, Tourist Accommodation, Timeshare Sectors, Live-aboard and Cruise Sectors.
Applications with proof of qualifications, resume and two letters of recommendation should be submitted no later than 5:00pm on Monday, August 26, 2019 to:
Human Resources Manager
Belize Tourism Board
Re: Tax Auditor
Re: Vacancy for Tax Auditor
- Monitor and Track Tax Payers’ KPIs such as revenue performance, compliance record, risk and statistical information.
- Perform detailed analysis of records of tax payers that have been selected for audit, and conduct pre-audit planning and preparation.
- Perform Desk and Field Audits of Accommodation properties countrywide.
- Prepare and submit audit reports and working papers; Conduct post-audit activities.
- Maintain Taxpayer and Audit Files.
- Prepare and Issue Tax Assessments for undeclared revenues; Follow up on payment.
- Address Tax Payer Compliance issues such as Late and Non-Filing. Research and investigate Unregistered Properties that are operating illegally. Maintain tracking and follow-up tools. Prepare monthly compliance reports.
- Prepare monthly reports summarizing the actions taken and results achieved as relates to departmental objectives.
- Monitor of Arrears: Verify Arrears; Inform customers of arrears; Ensure collection of arrears; Maintain tracking and follow-up tools. Prepare bi-monthly reports on Arrears.
- Reconciliation of all Customer Accounts; identify credits and debits; Prepare requests for Adjustments along with proper documentation; Maintain tracking and follow-up tools Prepare bi-monthly reports on account balances.
- Reconciliation of all Customer Accounts with a discrepancy; identify under-reporting/payment; Prepare requests for Adjustments along with proper documentation; Maintain tracking and follow-up tools. Prepare bi-monthly reports on accounts reconciled.
- Engagement, Education and Sensitization of BTB clients on relevant policies and legislations as well as their responsibilities as participants in the Tourism Industry.
- Possess strong work ethics
- Diligent and detail oriented
- Team player and self-starter
- Qualifications: Education / Experience / Skills required of the position.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting plus a minimum of 3 years’ work experience in the field of accounting
- Auditing experience is preferred
- Working knowledge of widely used electronic accounting and hotel reservation systems and packages
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Internationally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Solid understanding of business transactions, process flows and cycles, preferably of hotels and tourism related businesses
- Good understanding of the principles of internal controls and risk, and the ability to assess the same
- Strong ability to analyze data and financial transactions and formulate valid conclusions
- Excellent command of the English language and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Must possess a positive attitude and the ability to work as part of a team to achieve common goals
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to perform well under pressure and exercise professionalism and good judgment
- Proactive, goals oriented, internally motivated and capable of working with limited supervision
- Assertive personality with strong public relations skills
- Must be prepared to work in the field and travel frequently, sometimes to remote locations in less than optimal conditions
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is considered an asset
- Paralegal training is considered an asset
- Other related task as assigned